Monday, June 11, 2007

10 x Cruise Miles

Monday- 15 miles- 4 w up- 10x1520m-5:53-1 c dn

A very nice one tonight with temperatures much cooler than yesterday. "Only" in the 90's! I wanted to step up the cruise mile repeats again following the "extension training" principle. I did however run a bit faster than I probably should have. My calculated Lactate Threshold pace for cruise intervals (off from my 11:21- 2mile time trail) puts me at 6:17 pace for Tempo runs. On my Sinai mile- 1520m loop that means about 5:58. I was able to average about 5 seconds under that tonight, but was probably pushing a bit more than I should have. It is tough to judge pace into the wind though.

10 x 1520m-5:55, 5:54, 5:50, 5:55, 5:52, 5:54, 5:53, 5:54, 5:54, 5:53 on 60 second recovery

It became work on the 7th repeat, but the funniest moment came after the 2nd one when I realized an Egyptian crow had stolen the gel I had set next to my water bottle. He picked it up and flew away and began to try and eat it by pecking and tearing the package. the Crows here are a perfect example of Darwinian evolution. They are identical to Crows in the USA EXCEPT they are sand colored on their backs and wings (heads and bellies black). Gotta reflect the deathly hot sun to stay alive in this region of the world!

So why no BIG long warm up tonight? I'm wussy...and a bit afraid of the heat. I wanted to be sure I could finish the workout. With a 10 mile warm up I probably would not have.

3 comments:

Geoff said...

great workout in that kind of heat.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I won't be able to cope with such a thing! I hate heat and absolutely useless in it!

Opra said...

I see that you are interested in sport... Probably, you should get sport rewards credit cards. Have you heard about then?