Saturday, April 11, 2009

Pounding it out for 40

Well after a poor week with tons of work on the house but only two run days (15 miles each day) I got myself out on the Potomac heritage trail and the C& O canal for a strong 40 miler in 6:25. The last 28 miles were all under 9:00 miles. I did a 60sec walk break at each mile marker but managed to run steady 8:50's pace. That was very encouraging. During the 40 miles I took in 1100 calories and never felt hungry or bonky at all. A good sign of efficiency.


I did get in a strong 15 miler cut down run with the last 7 miles in 7:50, 7:40, 7:30, 7:12, 7:02 6:52, 6:39. Problem with the fast stuff is it kills my calves for two days following.

Hoping for a consistent week this coming week with a biggy on Saturday the 18th. Bull Run Run 50. Goal is a sub 8:00 finish, and a strong showing by my Wahooligans team.

2 comments:

Bryon Powell said...

Train with a heavy pack for 6 months... the fast stuff will feel like a walk in the park afterward. :-)

Michael Huff said...

Nice run, good luck with the sub 8 at Bull Run. I look forward to seeing you there. I will not be running a sub 8 hour.

Mike Huff